Friday, October 30, 2015

Why Quilt?

One thing I love about the blog is that it is always here whenever I get back to it. Never looking at me with a judgmental eye or criticizing. I appreciate you for continuing to check in to see what is happening like an old friend who is there for me each time I call.

Well I have been working very hard. Some days I wonder why I am working, why is quilting my passion, and why do I wake up in the morning dying to get back to work on the latest project. I don't know if I ever find answers to the questions I ask but I am still having fun with it.

One thing I know for sure is that quilts are not loved/appreciated by everyone. So many people tell me that it was something their grandmother used to make them do or something they say old people do. I wonder if they ever stop to think about why they did it. Of course the obvious reason was for bed covering so why have people continued it. We no longer NEED quilts to stay warm. That quilt need has been usurped by blankets, comforters and duvets. Yet we still joyfully do it.

I have heard many quilters say that once they tried it, they were hooked. I know exactly what they mean but can I put it into words. From my husbands point of view, I just go out and buy fabric; bring it home and cut it up into little bitty pieces, and then take untold amounts of time sewing them back together. Yes that is what I do but I have to confess that a lot of internal bliss happens between the lines.

There is something exhilarating about creating a thing (quilt) or putting a puzzle together. The internal peace that I can find when I zone out while doing a repetitive motion is so wonderful. Many times I get up and dance around because I love what I doing so much. It is a beautiful thing when your career and your passion come together. :-)

No comments: