Sunday, December 4, 2016

Favorite Day

I know I have skipped a few weeks here and there. Please forgive me. Let's face it, my life is just not that exciting. So some weeks I can't think of a think to say.

Do you have a favorite day of the week? I do and it is Saturday!  I bet if I take a poll Friday will probably be everyone else's favorite.  I could sleep late but I don't. I can't wait to get up and get to my sewing project. I know that I will have a day of solitude when I can work as long as I want. I put Young Blood on the radio and then sing and dance to my heart's content.

When I was young Saturday was the day that my sister and I would hang out with Patricia all day. One Saturday we schemed to steal Ms. Henrietta's snuff. We had no idea what the snuff did or why Ms. Henrietta sent us to the store to get some all the time. We did know that she seemed to enjoy it so we decided that we would try it.

We swiped the can and went around the back of the house. We stuffed it in our bottom lip and swallowed. Then we went back to the side of the house where we would bounce a ball onto the house. Shortly after wards, the house started to spin. Everything was spinning. Served us right. We were drunk from the snuff. Who knew? I never ever wanted snuff again.

Patricia also had a wonderful blue bicycle in her house. I asked about it all the time. Finally she taught me to ride. Patricia was older than me so when her interest went elsewhere, she let me take the bike out on Saturday all by myself. I would ride off to Valencia's house and join her in a ride to town.

Valencia and I would park our bikes in front of the 5 and Dime. We would go in and separate. The lady would try to follow us around the store. She treated us as if we were there to steal. We touched everything and ran her all around the store and then we would leave. We didn't want anything but we got a kick out of baiting her racism.

I think Saturday meant freedom from routine very early in my life. Now it means a day to get totally lost in my sewing exploits. The hours just fly by. Sometimes I forget to eat until late in the day. And to top it all off, I was born on Saturday.

Do you have favorite day of the week and why?

No comments: